Link Building in 2015
So, in the 2015 SEO universe, shaped by Google Penguin, the process is harder, slower and more challenging, so how can this be a good thing? Firstly, by removing all the underhanded and shady practices, it means that to get results, you need to be a website that actually produces quality content and earns links to similar quality. It is about building a true reputation and earning an authentic place at the top of the Search Engine results rather than manipulating your way to the top.
As such, you need to look at the following ways to not create links, but earn links:
- Promote content appropriately so the best types of people are exposed to it, they will be more naturally motivated to share and link your content
- Focus on relationships, if you have influence in your professional sphere then you will build a reputation for quality and you will be turned to for your expertise and value
- Content that is original, engaging and fascinating to your audience will lead to people naturally wanting to discuss, comment and share your website
There is still a level of strategy to this process, but you start to see more merit rather than manipulation. No longer is it a numbers game, the focus is on quality and value. You should now build your brand, not your links. If you do this naturally than the link strategy will flow logically as a by-product of your work.
If you are unsure of how to proceed with this, then approach an SEO professional. If they are willing to see the potential in your website and services, then they often have the connections and trust that can help to create the quality links that your site needs to get the respect you see that it deserves.
The Quality Link
The answer to this was provided by the Google Penguin update. A number of questions began being introduced as a sort of guidance to the type of links that a webmaster should be seeking, or asking before engaging a link profile. The following list shows the important considerations you should think of in determining the quality of a potential link.
- Is the site relevant to theme of my content?
- How much advertising does it have, has it been overrun?
- Checking the comments and social media presence, does the site have an active community?
- Is the content that it publishes of a high standard?
- Is the development and selection of content being driven by a positive editorial hand?
- Is their incoming link profile of a high standard?
- Is it a professional design/site?
- Ultimately, am I happy having this brand associated with my own?
If you begin to make the conscious change towards earning the links, rather than generating them, the quality of your website and the respect that it earns can only exponentially increase.
Link Building Tools
- Ahrefs – backlink checker and analysis tool – https://ahrefs.com/
- BuzzStream – link research and link building tool – http://www.buzzstream.com/
- GSA Search Engine Ranker – niche backlink building tool – https://secure.avangate.com/order/product.php?PRODS=4555684&QTY=1&AFFILIATE=48198
- Inspyder Backlink Monitor – backlink analysis tool – http://www.inspyder.com/products/BacklinkMonitor/Default.aspx
- Link Emperor – tool used to build authority links – http://www.linkemperor.com/?a=ec6ce75b4ecf
- Link prospector – helps users build targeted backlinks – http://linkprospector.citationlabs.com/
- Majestic SEO – backlink checker and site exploration tool – http://www.majesticseo.com/
- Open Site Explorer – discover new linking opportunities – http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/
- Rankwyz – link building tool – http://www.rankwyz.com/
- ScrapeBox – pinging, commenting, link building tool – http://www.scrapebox.com/
Learn more, grab your copy of The Death of SEO (link to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0994374518?keywords=the%20death%20of%20seo&qid=1445568971&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1 )